Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A really true secret of character creation

I’ve discovered one of the secrets of creating an irresistible male character. It may be THE secret, but having only just discovered it, I can’t say for sure. However, it’s definitely A secret. If you do this one thing, you’re sure to have a complex, slightly dark, slightly troubled, brash but surprisingly sensitive, and quite probably beautiful character on your hands.

I know you’re dying to know what single act you can take that will lead to such a character. Well, I’m going to tell you. It’s quite simple actually. Easier than slogging through the Myers-Briggs personality type test, easier than painstakingly crafting a compelling backstory, easier, even, than stealing a character from real life.

All you have to do is name them Logan.

Yes, really. Watch as I prove my point.

Aside from having an emotional spectrum that ranges from cavalier to cocky and personalities with the intensity of the summerwe’re enjoying, these Logans all have three things in common: daddy issues, girl issues, and a casual disregard for their ownmortality. It’s a killer combo.

The case of Logan Echolls (of Veronica Mars) 
“And what is so great about living?"
  • Daddy issues? His dad killed his girlfriend.
  • Girl issues? He falls for his dead girlfriend’s best friend (who also used to be his best friend’s girlfriend).
  • Casual disregard for mortality? Between his home life and the PCH Biker gang, it’s a miracle he survives.
The case of Logan Huntzberger (of Gilmore Girls)
“People can live a hundred years without really living for a minute.”
  • Daddy issues? He’s destined to follow in his father’s overbearing footsteps.
  • Girl issues? His family dismissing his girlfriend as “not good enough for the family.”
  • Casual disregard for mortality? Um, Life & Death Brigade, anyone?
The case of Logan aka Wolverine (of X-Men)
“What I do best isn’t very nice.”
  • Daddy issues? Erm. Well, SOMEone’s responsible for his memory loss…
  • Girl issues? Ha! Haha! Does this require explanation? Because I don’t know that I have the time.
  • CasualExtreme disregard for mortality? Only on his best days…
Alright, there you have it. One ofthe essential truths of character creation gifted from me to you. If you’re struggling to create a cocky, enigmatic, and surprisingly deep character, go ahead and name him Logan. Once a character has thusly been named, everything else will naturally, effortlessly fall into place.

 

14 comments:

  1. LOL. *renames all my characters to Logan* There...that should do it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! off to go rename some characters! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to assist! Be careful, though. Once you've named a Logan, there's no going back...

      Delete
  3. Hilarious!! Oh how I still miss Gilmore Girls:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Also there's Logan Keeley in Jeri Smith-Ready's SHADE series. You might be onto something here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does he prove the point? Or is he calm and thoughtful?

      Delete
  5. Man. I kinda now wish CK and I had considered Logan as a baby name! Except there is no way in hell that kid is going to end up with Daddy issues. I was reading this book by Desmond Morris about child-rearing today and there are several paragraphs about how the baby/toddler who doesn't go to preschool, but instead spends his first five years with lots of mommy attention does blah blah blah. And I kept thinking: you mean Daddy attention. You mean Daddy attention. Pulling on Daddy's apron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way, you landed on the perfect name for that child. He has other demons to slay!

      Also, was that a complete thought up above? What happens to the child who grows up with tons of Daddy attention? I'm on the edge of my seat!!!

      Delete
  6. Oh and hey - where is your damn RSS feed link on this page? I had unfollowed this blog like a year ago because I thought you were abandoning it. I just now added you back into my feed reader, but I had to do it the long way. Boo for doing things the long way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still a little unsure about parts of blogger. But I think it's that +Google button above the followers block. Maybe?

      Delete
  7. I begged my brother to name his first kid Logan if it was a boy. No dice. :-(

    I hadn't noticed that, though...hm...well, I know what to name my next hero (or maybe anti-hero, as the case may be...) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anti-hero is probably closer to the truth for these guys. Which probably means that's a huge soft spot for me - the very-nearly-but-not-quite anti-hero.

      Delete