Monday, July 9, 2012

Musical me


Music has been a pretty significant part of my life. It was always in my house as a kid. My mother made sure to have all sorts of noise makers handy and started me off on the piano early. I cycled through a handful of instruments - including a brief and serious affair with the tambourine (yes, that's me) - before proclaiming my new life as a 3rd grade cellist.

Not only did my mother make sure I had access to the tools of musical creativity, but she inadvertently inspired my first forays into the world of rock. As a dedicated pre-teen rebel, I countered her love of Enya with Nirvana. I met Libana with musicals, Adiemus with Lorena McKennitt, Secret Garden with VAST (yes, my mother has very specific tastes). All the while, I was falling in love with Bach, Mozart, and Prokofiev. 

There's never been a time in my life when I didn't lean on music in some way or another. It's always been a crucial element of my writing, both creative and academic. I am of the camp of writers who creates playlists for novels and can't really get going until I have THE song that captures the tone, the emotion of the story I want to tell. 

In the past year, I've been on a ruthless hunt for new music. I don't know how many albums and tracks I've purchased, but my music library is looking rather flush at the moment. 

When a reader asked me for more music recommendations, well, I was only too happy to start thinking about my favorites from the past year. I'm avoiding the obvious ones like Fun. or Mumford and Sons (both favorites from the past 12 months), and going for a few I think are less well known. When possible, I'm linking to bandcamp.com, which is a FABULOUS way to support artists.

First up, a group I found less than a week ago, Imagine Dragons, "It's Time". I love this track for their use of percussion, strings, and the unexpected in an otherwise fairly typical sound. This has been released as an EP and I enjoy all of the tracks. 

Next, another recent discovery, Zaki Ibrahim, "Something in the Water." There are SO MANY reasons to love this. The blending of African beats with dubsteb with that silky vocal....this one slayed me quite dead. 

Third, one my friend Maggie sent me, Lost Lander, "Through Your Bones." It was extremely difficult to pick one track from this album. They're sort of folk, sort of not. This is an album, called DRRT, I can put on repeat.

And finally, a new one from Santigold (used to be Santogold), "Go!" Full of energy and experimentation. Brash and unapologetic, I love this song. 

Hope you enjoy! And please feel free to drop a few recommendations of you own. I'm always on the prowl for new music - Music Predator, that's me. Send me prey! ;)   

12 comments:

  1. Yaaaaaay, Santigold! I have Disparate Youth in my current WIP's playlist and love that whenever Gracie hears it, she says, "Good one, Mom" - <3 this BBC Radio 1 live lounge recording http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLN90w2er1k&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLzdbX2tt5wjX1GRlxQm8AqQ

    I'll have to check out these other songs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great recording! I really love most of the album. She's just so bold!

      Delete
  2. I want to be best friends with that picture of you! Polyphonic Spree and Edward Sharpe are usually my go-to! This song in particular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHEOF_rcND8

    Love your recs! Just added them to spotify list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been enjoying Edward Sharpe quite a bit. And I'm glad you like the recs!

      Delete
  3. Love Imagine Dragons! I've had that song on my WIP's playlist already. Now I need to add these others. Thanks for the recs! Oh, and I've purchased Snow White and the Huntsman soundtrack thanks to you reminding me how perfect it is.
    My rec right now would be M83's Midnight City.
    And yes, andimjulie! Edward Sharpe so freaking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I keep hearing that one and never could remember what it was called or who it was by.

      Enjoy SW&tH! It's so great. I esp love the sad song....can't remember the name of it, but one of the seven dwarves startes it. <3

      Delete
  4. Thank you!!!! I am officially obsessed with Lost Lander and Imagine Dragons. My current recs are: 1) Dark Parts by Perfume Genius; 2) Core of Nature by Midlake 3) Black Eyes by Radical Face 4) anything by The Ruse. I honestly can't pick one song by them.

    Thanks again for posting the music! When you posted Animal Life by Shearwater it literally changed the entire direction of my WIP (for the better) and I can't thank you enough for that.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Radical Face! And I'm currently cruising through as much of The Ruse as I can find. Thank you!!

      I'm so glad to know there are other people who love Shearwater as much as I do. Such an unusual sound, but so powerful. I'm using a few tracks for my wip at the moment as well.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic post -- loved the links, esp. Zaki Ibrahim and Santigold -- clicky clicked through on YouTube and found a Santigold/MIA track that Diplo produced and I'm super happy. Also, she'd done a couple songs that I liked but didn't know who it was.

    That said, I don't think it's very nice to put a picture of some goofy kid up on your blog for ridicule. That little girl is probably all grown up by now and has feelings, too! What if she was reading this blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't own Santigold's first album, but I love a few tracks from it. I should probably correct that. Glad you dig her and Zaki!

      As for the little girl....she probably did read this post. And she probably wondered why that outfit was ever in her closet. And then she probably cried that it isn't anymore and went out in search of a fancy blut tutu, so in reality, I did her a favor!

      Delete
  6. I think I recognize that dress...

    ReplyDelete